Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Song of the Day: Mark Berube - Barber Shop

Have you ever had a fragment of something come to you,
like a dream, like you're on the edge
of something meaningful, but the details are fuzzy?

A memory, not mine, but part of me: A love affair between
a hitchhiker and the driver who let her in.

Like trying to recall a dream, I meditated on the feeling
and the image began to reveal its form.

A song.

It touched me recently and deeply.

The story of highway love is the crucial moment.

The lyrics, at least the critical lyrics, are spoken and not sung.

The song reminded me, at one point, of something by C.R. Avery, but isn't.

It came to me.

She leaned over and whispered "Have you heard about the story of what the river gave the boat?" I said "No, I haven't" She said "Don't worry," as she rolled down the window and gave the wind a smile to carry to the next car down the road "there's still a long way to go." -Mark Berube

No comments:

Post a Comment